Saturday, September 16, 2006

Good Boss, Bad boss and resingnation...

I read an article by Mr Azim Premji today. It says the employees leave the company because the manager screws up. People don’t leave companies, they leave managers.

I don’t fully agree with the article. I think at times manager genuinely tries to help, the employee interprets things the way she ("she" because I believe in gender equality and till 29 years I have addressed third person as "he" so, next 29 is "she") wants to and gets jittery.

I think it’s more like a mix and match. If the manager is not delivering what she (again “she”) has promised again and again, then that’s fine, but if she is and once in a while fails, the subordinates also should be more understanding.

Basically, number of employees leaving a company is directly proportional to the type of market the company is operating in. In India and software, people will get offended with the slightest of the provocations from others and will leave on the slightest of the excuses.

The article also says that idiots stick around, sharp people leave. I think it’s more related to the seriousness of an employee about the organisation she is working for. If the employee wants a short stay to boost career and money, she will definitely leave at the sight of slightest of the challenges, thinking she will not face similar challenges in another company. This assumption is not valid, there will be similar challenges everywhere and it’s the escapist mentality and disbelief in self and the organisation which leads to resignation.

Had bad bosses be the only criteria, there would have been a lot of people from the earlier (pre-IT) generation who would have left their organisations also as bad bosses existed then also. I cannot believe that the entire generation was filled with incompetent people.

Sorry, Mr Premji, I do not agree with you. And I don’t work for you either so it makes “not agreeing” a lot easier. ;-)

No comments: