Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Different strokes

I have seen it many times but have realised it just now... I went to Rajasthan/Gujarat and saw the Dilwara temple there. The carving there is world class. The guide told me that the exteriors are very simple and dry but these temples have excellent carvings inside. He was right. He told me that reason for this was to save the carvings and art work from the mughals who would have used to destroy the temples which had great architecture.

On my Tirupati visit where I visited many temples in South India, the architecture has reversed itself. In south India you see Gold plated temples and bg kalashas and stupas on the outside but inside its very dry and dark. The interiors are mostly plain black stones.

It does not suggest anyhting just that at different times and places, how things can be exactly opposite because of circumstances. Probably that will make me more open. I can acept opposite thoughts and can understand why they both are correct...

1 comment:

nitya said...

Actually our temples were huge airy spaces inside but you know even god is not safe from man's stupidity.. so for security reasons they have shut off all the openings for light, air etc.