Friday, November 07, 2008

The state of relative proudness

"Jana gana mana - the best national anthem", says UNESCO. Got this email from someone. Read it and thought its such a crappy thought to rate national anthems from best to worst. And because I am the non-believing types, I googled it and found its a spam.

I am an Indian and so understand people feeling proud of their national symbols, culture, anthem etc. Thats perfectly valid. I am proud to be an Indian, but why do people go down to this level as to boasting about stuff which demeans the national symbols belonging to other nations.

I don't think this is required. Its good to be proud of your nation but there is no need to demean other nations. The feeling of being proud of your own country is surely not relative.

I think people should try and come out of the state of "relative proudness".

No comments: