Friday, March 09, 2012

Bombay!!!

I was explaining Mumbai and Bombay to a videsi in office. We were discussing recruitment at some senior level and I was telling him that I am looking to see if some of the people I know can move from Mumbai to Bangalore. And that it is very difficult.
And he said but Bangalore is green and nice. I said well so might be Tulsa in Oklahoma, but you wouldnt want to leave NY, would you? :).
Then he asked, what happened to Bombay? Bombay stood for everything which is quality in India. I said yeah, it still does, it's just called Mumbai now.
Bombay has now more become an adjective rather than a noun. Bombay symbolizes things, a way of life. It symbolizes a cosmopolitan forward looking culture which resides in and explains this place called 'Mumbai'.

It's so true actually. Am not into this political debate or anything. And I like Mumbai as name. It's just that Bombay represents an era, a time, a philosophy for me which is so unique compared to the way people live in other places, it's amazing. It's amazing that similar people bahaving more unemotionally and in a balanced manner that it's just a lot more mature. That similar kind of people are more open to others and think about overall effectiveness from a long term perspective.

This is unheard of and unseen in most parts of the world. That's the spirit of Mumbai. That's Bombay.

1 comment:

Kanchan said...

Hi Prashant...just landed on ur blog via some Mumbai related stuff...


So true that last line! I've never lived in Mumbai...been only a visitor. But the Mumbaikars I meet do seem more open and more eager to have fun too ! Across age, race, religion....