Monday, October 18, 2010

Facebook and I

I have a Facebook account for quite some time now and I have (not) been using it for all that long as well. Earlier I thought its more for youger crowd and probably i have just outgrown it. But I see a lot of people who are my generation, friends, some people I used to work with and are quite older to me, do seem to use it with ease. So, this argument does not hold good.

Well, now I know that I am not the most open people there are in terms of sharing personal life. Very few people working with me have visited my home and a even fewer number whose house I went to. So, then I though may be its the people who are on facebook and as they are ranging from friends to just plain people I have known once or know through a friend etc which is causing me to share stuff online. But then I realized that I am happy with those people reading my blog and have no such issues there, sharinh what I want to put it down. The blog is not written for others, its my brain-dump which i keep putting on these pages. So - this surely is not an issue as well.

Then I thought about it.. it looks like there is a basic weirdness about facebook and that is that its about other people all the time. I am eating here, I have a smart crack.. its all about sharing it with people for the people. Very less is intented as a brain-dump etc which you are ok with even if noone reads it.

Its the whole idea about thinking about what I should tell others and puttin it down is a big turn-off for me. I am happy to share some information about myself here and there, but I am comfortable with it being on a need-to-know basis. If someone needs to know, will just call up the person and tell him/her rather than publishing to the world.

This does not mean, facebook is crap - the advantage is that you can find a long lost friend, who otherwise you would never get in touch with - now, its ok if thats the case, nothing stops because i cant get in touch with this person who I have never spoken to for past say 11 yrs - but its, in Goscinny's language "Justforkix". :)

No comments: