Monday, June 15, 2009

Cos… listening is important…

Started reading Ayn Rand again, finished Fountainhead and moved on to Atlas Shrugged. While enjoying the day in Dukes’s Retreat Khandala – i was trying to read this book.

And as soon as I reached page 3-4, I realized how un-readable is Ayn Rand. I have read Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged and We, the living while in college and it was more like a normal story book for me – so did not matter. Now i realize I do not agree with her much and so it was getting very difficult for me to read on. Nope, dont want to go into philosophical differences on why I think “objectivism” is wrong or what i feel should be the correct concept.

Its just that am thinking – am i getting so rigid? That I cant read a book if it says something I do not believe in. Thats not very good. That just means that i am probably getting older and so more and more rigid. And thats the reason I have decided – just to prove myself wrong in this case – I will finish reading Atlas Shrugged and hence, make sure that the habit of listening to people continues even if I do not agree with them. Cos.. listening is important….

1 comment:

Amitabh said...

I know this is besides the point of the post. But bear my digression....
I fundamentally disagree with Rand, but I think Objectivism is right. I know that sounds like a 2 sides of a fire pan (both are hot)....but I think thats about.
Are those books readable? I still think some of her books are the best fiction, I have read in my life. So I definitely think they are still readable.